Looking For A Chiropractor in Vancouver? Here's A Few Tips!
A Chiropractor is a doctor that treats a variety of different types of health issues in a very specialized way. Particular areas of focus include the back, spine and neck, although other areas of the body can be successfully treated with Chiropractic treatment. If you are seeking a natural and drug-free way of treating your health issues, a Chiropractor is an excellent choice. If you’re looking for a chiropractor in Vancouver, well, we hope you choose us! But, here are some points to consider before making your final decision.
Do Your Research Before Choosing Your Vancouver Chiropractor
Do some research on your symptoms and condition(s). This can be done by performing a simple Internet search. If you come across articles or conversations in chat forums, describing your symptom(s) and how a chiropractor assisted in resolving the issue for others, then chiropractic treatment could be an option for you as well. Here are some considerations as you continue your research on your condition:
- Is your condition safe to be treated via Chiropractic treatment?
- Can the condition be successfully treated with Chiropractic treatment?
- How many sessions will be required to relieve your symptoms?
If, based on your preliminary research, the condition or symptoms you suffer from have had a proven success rate when treated via Chiropractic care, the next step is to search for a Vancouver Chiropractor. Of course, a professional chiropractor will ultimately decide if chiropractic care is the best course of action for you.
Choosing Your Vancouver Chirorpactor
Once you have decided that Chiropractic treatment is a potential option for you, the next step is to set about choosing a Chiropractor.
College of Physicians and Surgeons
If you are concerned about a Chiropractor’s history as a physician, you can check your provincial or state board to find out if there have been any malpractice issues, suspensions, or other disciplinary actions taken against the Chiropractor.
Recommendations/Word of Mouth
One of the best first steps when seeking a Vancouver Chiropractor is to ask your primary care physician if there is anyone in particular they recommend. Next, talk to friends, family and co-workers to see if they have any recommendations. When seeking recommendations, it’s important to understand the conditions and treatments people have received for those conditions, and whether or not they were successful. That way you can gauge whether or not the symptoms you are experiencing will respond well to Chiropractic treatments. As noted above, Chiropractors treat a variety of different conditions, however, some may specialize in only certain types of conditions, such as low back pain.
Along with recommendations and word of mouth, a chiropractic clinic’s website can provide you with a wealth of information about the clinic, what treatments they specialize in, hours of operation, location etc. It’s always wise to consider information about the clinic itself when making a decision.
Chiropractor Clinic Visit
Let’s be honest – your health is the most important aspect of your life. That said, it’s important to ‘check out’ the office where your chosen Chiropractor does business. Why? Well, a good analogy would be when you go out for dinner at a restaurant. If the restaurant is in a bad part of town, the interior is run down and the service is poor, the food probably isn’t going to very good right? The same goes for any type of business. So do a quick ‘drop in’ at the clinic before you schedule an appointment.
Things to look for in a Chiropractic Clinic
The following should be must-haves when deciding on a chiropractic clinic:
- Has ample parking spaces available
- The clinic is in a safe and well-lit part of town
- Has a clean exterior
- Has a clean and inviting interior
- Has friendly welcoming staff (everyone from the receptionist to the chiropractors themselves!)
- Appears to do a fairly bustling business (after all, if the clinic is empty, this probably means the clinic does not have a lot of patients!)
Interview Your Vancouver Chiropractor
Just as you might for any other type of ‘service’, it’s wise to interview potential chiropractors before you make a final decision. Again, your health is the main priority, so taking the time to thoroughly check out a potential Chiropractor is completely within your right, and is a wise decision.
Phone Interview Start by calling the clinic to conduct a pre-interview. Gather information about what types of treatments they specialize in, any particular treatment methods they employ, number of employees, how busy their schedule is etc. This will give you a good idea of how the clinic is run overall. At the conclusion of the phone interview, request a consultation appointment with the Chiropractor, during which you will conduct your in-person interview.
During your consultation or ‘in-person’ interview, you will be able to get a good feel for what type of doctor and person the Chiropractor is. Here are some must-haves you should expect:
- A friendly and courteous manner
- An empathetic manner
- A positive outlook about your condition and treatment goals
- Patience with the patient! This means, does the Chiropractor allow you to fully explain your condition and symptoms, or does he/she cut you off mid-sentence? If the Chiropractor doesn’t even have time to hear you out before interjecting, then it is possible you will be treated the same way during treatment.
- Open responses to questions about the Chiropractor’s education, years of service, specializations etc.
- A reasonable guess as to how many treatments will be required to relieve your symptoms. If a Chiropractor is vague about this, it may mean that they are more interested in money than actually improving your health.
- Willing to provide patient testimonials.
- Willing to offer your counselling and advice on the steps you can take outside of the clinic, to help with your condition.
We all have the ability to get a certain ‘vibe’ from the people we deal with. If you feel comfortable and at ease with the Chiropractor, and you seem to have personalities that work well together, this is a very important factor in your decision. There are a lot of different personality types in the world, and in every interaction in our lives, it’s more pleasant to be dealing with someone who just feel’s ‘right’. So do your research, and be sure to meet with any Vancouver Chiropractor you are considering, before making your final decision.